No one wants to hear about the why we are making these. It’s cupcakes with wine. That is all you need to know. So let’s get straight to the recipe because no one reads those long winded backstories that make us scroll ALL THE WAY to the bottom for the recipe. So stop reading this. Seriously, you’re making it weird….
1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Sugar
6 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Cup Buttermilk
1/2 Vegetable Oil
3/4 Teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 Cup Hot Water
Wine Buttercream Frosting
2 Cups Madre Cabernet (Or a Bold Red)
1 Cup Salted Butter
4 Cups Confection Sugar
Time to get started.
- Pour a glass of wine and drink it.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and prepare cupcake tray with liners.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together. New to baking? I got you boo. (The Flour, Sugar, Cocoa Powder, Baking Soda, and Salt) Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix all those other remaining ingredients except the water. (The Egg, Buttermilk, Vegetable Oil, and Vanilla) These are called the wet ingredients btw.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until they are combined and then add the hot water. Don’t panic, batter will be thin.
- Fill cupcake liner about half way and bake for 18-23 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let them cool before frosting.
Take a sip of wine we’ve got more work to do. Let’s make the frosting.
- Pour wine into a glass and drink. Oh wait, I mean add wine to a skillet. Do not drink it. Maybe a small sip. No one will know.
- Bring wine to a boil and reduce to medium high for about 15-25 minutes. Stir occasionally. You want it to reduce to about 1/4 cup. Let it cool.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, mix Butter until it’s smooth. Slowly add Confection Sugar. Add reduced wine and mix on medium speed until it is light and fluffy.
- Frost those cupcakes and eat them up. If you feel generous share them with your friends. Or put on Netflix and your PJ’s and treat yourself.